What to expect when you contact Bob

A lot of my work is done by correspondence, which I endeavour to read and reply to personally as soon as possible. Where appropriate, this can be followed up by visits to the various government, council or agency bodies concerned.

In the main, I am able to deal with queries about central government (such as the National Health Service, HM Revenue and Customs, and the Department of Work and Pensions who deal with issues such as benefits, pensions and national insurance). I am, however, more than happy to make representations on behalf of any constituent who might have a particular case they require assistance with.

It is always worth exploring the Direct Gov website, which contains a great deal of practical information on topics like benefits, housing and education.


I am afraid that I am unable to provide legal advice or take positions in private disputes.